Outside the Lines is a virtual magazine that supports educators in creating powerful, engaging art units that are responsive to contemporary times.
Each issue of Outside the Lines includes:
Interesting, choice-based content:
- A relevent and timely essential question
- Four key ideas which break the essential question down through:
- An introduction/background information
- Diverse artworks and artist biographies
- An art prompt with flexible material choices
Teacher Support, Including:
- Discussion prompts and assessment strategies based on the National Core Art Standards
- Suggestions for linking to core content areas, including rich ELA texts
- Ideas for adapting the content for in-person, virtual, or distance learning
- Outline of the progression of skills or understanding
- Linking to the Teaching Tolerance standards where applicable
- A separate file linking to artworks on museum/gallery sites and optional, supplemental videos
- Self-assessment rubric for students based on Studio Habits of Mind
- Artist statement worksheet
- A separate file with Spanish translations of the student-led pages.
With a subscription, you get access to any issues that have been published this year, as well as access to new publications.By subscribing to the series, you save $14 off of the cover price.
*During 2020-2021 the magazine is released every 6 weeks for a total of seven issues. During 2021-22 it will be released every 7 weeks for a total of six issues.
Our Lesson Packs are carefully curated selections of our projects, designed around a theme or objective. While the individually listed packs will have unique features, all Lesson Packs include:
- A scope & sequence
- downloadable lesson plans
This is in addition to everything that comes standard in a Doodles Academy lesson, including:
- Focus questions
- Video examples
- Inspiration Images
- Standards aligned (Common Core & National Art)
- Ideas for early finishers
- Anticipated problems